Home Forums General Discussion Troubled Kickstarter – That Which Sleeps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vordrak
    Participant

Hi,

Last year I was super-hyped about an indie game Kickstarter for a game called, 'That Which Sleeps'. I am not associated with the developers, but I was so impressed I decided to hype the game here and on other boards. Sadly I now feel seriously let down and feel the need to update the forum members here.

That Which Sleeps was a Kickstarter campaign for a computer game in which the player would take the part of an ancient evil, once sealed away and now returning to power.

The campaign ended on 22/10/2014, promising a beta by December 2014. The game was said to be nearly complete and funds were sought for graphical polish and some new features. A scenario viewer was said to have already been written and was promised to be released promptly after the end of the Kickstarter, using placeholder graphics.

It is now 22/10/2015. The beta has not been released. The scenario viewer has not been released. The developers have released a partially functional map editor and statistics editor (mod tools). There is no date for the beta. The developers produced 6 videos in the run up to the Kickstarter but in the subsequent year released only 4.

After protesting and writing critical articles, I received a unilateral refund and was removed from the project forum. I am unaware of whether other backers have been refunded as the project claims to be ongoing. My article is here – http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=2642

Keeperman
    Participant

Hi Vordrak,

Thanks for letting us know.

I never played “That Which Sleeps” but it actually sounds like quite a cool concept. It tells quite an important life lesson as well for developers. There is a huge library of unfinished software out there with great potential, which has been lost in history.

I'm happy I bought Keeperrl and I am hoping for something much better to emerge in this case. Don't get me wrong though, some software is never really meant to be “finished”. I will feel very sad on the day when KeeperRL stops being developed and has become complete, even if modding is being supported.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.