Home Forums Development Revealing areas with dig designations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    G3Kappa
    Participant

Perhaps it’s well-known that you can reveal the shape of hidden areas inside the mountain simply by drawing a rectangle with the digging tool, thereby making threat assessment easier.

But doesn’t it defeat the purpose of having a fog of war? For instance, this lets me spot the vault entrance on turn 0, without even unpausing the game. Other easily discernible landmarks include the bandits’ lair, the dwarves/dark elves, and the tiny pockets with friendly minions or rats inside. It’s counter-intuitive for a new player, but after you get a hang of the game it kind of spoils the thrill of digging into unrevealed areas.

Then again, ore is another way of identifying certain threats, so I guess it’s intentional. But I’d like some dev thoughts on why this approach was chosen instead of the more traditional one, if anything to hear some interesting musings from a game design perspective.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by G3Kappa.

I left this feature in the game because it lets you plan your dungeon around bodies of water and lava. Before that it was quite annoying when you’ve laid down the digging tasks and suddenly a lake appears in the middle. I agree that it’s not ideal, but I don’t have a great idea how to fix it. I kind of hoped that players wouldn’t use abuse this feature and spoil the game for themselves, but I guess that’s just human nature 😛

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.