Home Forums General Discussion I’ve been asked a few times. Is the limited number of ores purposeful?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nat20
    Participant

There's been some discussion on if the amount of resources that spawn in a new world is supposed to be so finite and few or if that's something that is going to change?

On the one hand I think that the limited resource is an interesting challenge, made doable by the fact you can see all the ores in the mountain from the get go regardless of “Fog of war”

On the other hand I've heard people find it limiting and they don't want their dungeon layout to be determined so heavily by there being less resources than they would like.

I was wondering if there were any plans on this?
    If not, In my opinion, I would suggest an option at world creation for amount of resources that spawn. Best of both worlds for the user, but most time consuming of options for the developer.

miki151
    Participant

I'm aware of this problem, though it's good that you reminded me. The next version will have a stockpile of extra resources in the dwarf town. You'll get to have them when you conquer the dwarves.

For the future, I've been thinking about renewable resources, kind of like mines in other RTS games that produce a fixed amount per turn or so. It should create a more interesting economy. But I don't know yet how to implement that within the game. Ideas welcome.

You could go a dwarf fortress route with resources scattered through out various z-levels (When you get to that point) and trade goods to supplement them (Via the shop, or via actual trading with factions), or go a dungeon keeper route with “Nodes” of resources that take significantly longer to hack at but provide an unlimited resource (Gems).
    You could also do a “Alchemy/Magic” route where you convert other materials or raw mana into resources…maybe start off with a bad conversion rate (for every 20 cost you get 1 material converted?) that gets better via the tech tree (Down to maybe 3-1 ratio by the end?)
    Wood is easy enough, it just…regrow after awhile, or by spells.

The concern for this though would be a “Need” of “Unlimited” resources…I tend to…never need more than what's provided, or even less…maybe a cost to making items/gear (1-3 iron a weapon/gear)…? :-

A thought though…will there ever be a “Food” resource…?
    just curious as to if your minions ever get hungry…or why the humans have farms… 🙂

Tchey
    Participant

What about exploiting the Figurines idea more ? One of the Figurines can attract some kind of caravan, with goods to buy or sell, or simply attract caravan to get a certain amout or ores.

Vordrak
    Participant

How about caravan raids?

Caravans containing random resources and gold periodically cross the map, perhaps with a few guards and you send minions to kill them. Caravans should have a nice BIG cache to make it worth the players while to raid. Also, should only be detected if you have a creature like a crow or something nearby, in order to make it worth your while to have scouts. BUT … that means the reward should be higher.

miki151
    Participant

That's actually a pretty cool idea. They could just go from one village to another, and you need to get them before they arrive. It will make sense to have some minions stationed around the map for a quick raid.

Nat20
    Participant

How about caravan raids?

Caravans containing random resources and gold periodically cross the map, perhaps with a few guards and you send minions to kill them. Caravans should have a nice BIG cache to make it worth the players while to raid. Also, should only be detected if you have a creature like a crow or something nearby, in order to make it worth your while to have scouts. BUT … that means the reward should be higher.

Of all the suggestions this sounds the most FUN

miki151
    Participant

Yup, just wrote down an item to add it in another release. Feel free to add to it. https://github.com/miki151/keeperrl/issues/422

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.