Home Forums General Discussion Impressions from a newbie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    roxoxor
    Participant

I am 4 hours into the game. I figured out the basics but I guess there is still lots to explore for me. I loved DungeonKeeper, I disliked most remakes while this looks very promising. Hence I would like to contribute with some suggestions. Of course it might be that I missed some features, in that case maybe they are just too hidden.

Morale
    Imps have morale, just like other inhabitants, but I don’t know what it is good for or how to increase it. I put some imps on whipping posts but there was no effect. For the morale of the other creatures I did not find a nice overview. Other than selecting individual units I don’t know how to see their morale value. I know there is the smiley in the overview, but it is not quite clear how that relates to the 0.1…1.0 morale value.

Current Task
    I did not find where I can see the current task of a creature. Especially when I pause the game to put a creature to a certain task, I would like to know what is its current task before putting it to something else.

Doors
    I would like to be able to have a third status for doors where also enemies can pass them without crushing them. My most outer door is only needed when I am attacked without being prepared. When I am prepared all my createures are standing in the first room waiting for the enemies to crush the door. Also I can imagine that having doors that can be passed freely by enemies would be cool to lure intruders into trap corridors.

Control Mode
    I didn’t find out how to change the leader while in Control Mode. Afaik the only way is to leave control mode, and enter it again after choosing a different leader.

Resources useage
    This is really the only thing that made me a little disappointed. I don’t like it that to craft something creatures do not have to pick up the ressource from the storage. Either I misunderstand something completely, or ressources magically teleport to the place where the crafting takes place. I do not like that. A create crafting a sword should go to the storage room, pick up the iron and then craft the sword. Imps have to carry ressources to the storage.. that is inconsistent. I does not really matter where in my dungeon layout I put the storage relative to the crafting places. They can be at opposite ends of the dungeon without any disadvantage. Requiring resources to be picked up for crafting would be kind of a nerf compared to now, but it would increase consistency and fun.
    Similar for deconstruction, I would love to see an imp deconstruct the door when I give the command to deconstruct a door instead of just the door disappearing into nothing.

Scouting
    I had a nice team of an ogre and 4 vampires. They felt quite strong, but poison from a spider killed my ogre within seconds. Maybe I should have taken a healer. I could have crafted a poison resistance ring. Things would have went differently. What bugs me is that I had now way to know that there will be spiders with poison. There are lots of magic items to pick from (which is good!), but when I have no clue what enemy I am going to face, how am I supposed to know what to pick? Maybe it is already there and I don’t have it yet, but I wish there was a “scout” spell that would reveal a part of the map. Then I could have reacted accordingly. The way it was it felt like I got punished (lost my best unit) for not doing anything wrong.

Allies joining
    I found a group of orcs that joined my team. What surprised me was that I was already at maximum creature count, but still they joined me. This feels a little unfair. Lets say I find 3 orcs that join me and my current count is 7/10, then I cannot hire any more creatures because I am now at 10/10. In that situation it would be better to first hire 3 more and only then find the 3 orcs to end up with 13/10. This difference feels odd. My suggestion would be to make allies that exceed the cap will not join but go into the hiring queue for unlimited/longer than usual turns. Only when I have enough beds I can hire them. Again this would be a nerf, but again, for me it would definitely increase consistency and fun.

The game is fun. Already now it is a great game. And it has potential to become even better. Keep up the good work!

roxoxor
    Participant

PS: The most prominent button on the interface is the one to report a bug, but I didn’t find one yet 😛

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.