Home Forums News Changes to mining

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

This blog post will be devoted to a number of changes that I made to mining, minerals, and map generation. The main theme is that the geology tech wil
    [See the full post at: Changes to mining]

empy
    Participant

This is a great idea, but I am little bit afraid that the adamantium golems may take away some freedom from the players. This is because in the current state one may choose to go for steel production by early mid game (i.e. quite soon) with the prospect of building steel training dummy and getting one armour and one battle axe.

I do this in case I want to go sort of keeper/adventurer game, where I play as keeper, but keep only few minions and try to make them into an elite team of utter death for my enemies.

Also I do this when I go endless and only recruit imps and at most 2 goblins (assuming I do not die before reaching that point).

M point is: the idea is great, but maybe players should have means to reach some amount of steel without having to go through the tough golems, but having to make other sacrifice (e.g. buy with gold? 1 steel = 1 gold or so) to not restrain some of the fun ways to play the game.

red_kangaroo
    Participant

This sounds great. Especially the intelligent imps. 😀

BTW, would it be possible to also make imps more intelligent when it comes to storing items in stockpiles? As in, when you bring back home several different items, your creatures then drop them at the door and imps go pick up one item each, even though all the items go into the same stockpile… But I guess this would require way too intelligent imps. 🙂

@empy
    This shouldn’t be a problem, because from the screenshots, it seems that the golems are only near the ore – so you could carefully mine part of the vein without disturbing them, but probably cannot mine it all and still not fight them. Getting a few pieces of adamantine in the beginning if you’re careful and lucky, then all of it once you are strong enough sounds about right.

RTester
    Participant

I’m glad to learn about the rework of dreadful geology (though in all honesty, since I was one of the players not happy with it, that’s not a surprise). Certainly it’ll help a bit with planning and provide nice risk/reward feature for rapid dungeon expansion. I’m unsure about there being just pockets of enemies. Maybe said pockets could be semi-rare but at the same time digging out enough of certain resource could provoke off-map attacks the way gold does for bandits?

Steel change I am ambivalent towards – it may be good, it may be bad. I certainly see your reasoning, as it was kind of additional task gobbling up plenty of time and resources. At the same time, however, I liked the fact that it made iron ore relevant even late-game. There was still a point in acquiring it at the pinnacle of one’s power and it had value. Now, it won’t be so anymore.

I do like the harder rock feature, though probably I’ll try to mine it just for the immersion/head-canon reason of it making my dungeon more secure. And who knows, if you’d consider making ants have hard/impossible time digging through it, maybe it really could make a dungeon more secure (at least in case of newbie players as anyone else will likely attack and then completely wipe the ants out without letting them counterattack).

Looking forward to prisoners all the same, as well as to improved pathfinding (here’s hoping it won’t mess with my somewhat dated PC).

M point is: the idea is great, but maybe players should have means to reach some amount of steel without having to go through the tough golems, but having to make other sacrifice (e.g. buy with gold? 1 steel = 1 gold or so) to not restrain some of the fun ways to play the game.

Very good point. I’ll make it possible to create adamantium with using alchemical conversion tech. I’ll also try to think of other alternative ways to get it.

@empy This shouldn’t be a problem, because from the screenshots, it seems that the golems are only near the ore – so you could carefully mine part of the vein without disturbing them, but probably cannot mine it all and still not fight them. Getting a few pieces of adamantine in the beginning if you’re careful and lucky, then all of it once you are strong enough sounds about right.

With the current implementation they’ll attack if you mine even a single piece. But it can be changed.

BTW, would it be possible to also make imps more intelligent when it comes to storing items in stockpiles? As in, when you bring back home several different items, your creatures then drop them at the door and imps go pick up one item each, even though all the items go into the same stockpile… But I guess this would require way too intelligent imps.

That’s the plan, but probably not this release.

Maybe said pockets could be semi-rare but at the same time digging out enough of certain resource could provoke off-map attacks the way gold does for bandits?

I like it because you can see the risk upfront.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.