Home Forums General Discussion Dungeon walls

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Again, coming for a Dungeon Keeper background here, I find it a bit strange that reinforced walls appear at the same time as galleries are dug by Imps. In my opinion, reinforcing walls is something that Imps would do when idle, just like in DK.

To make these reinforced walls useful, tunneling enemies could be introduced! Am I the only one who finds it strange that Dwarves would come out of their underground halls to attack another underground foe?

miki151
    Participant

That's a good idea. Question – would they reinforce automatically or would you have to manually mark the walls? If the former, which walls to choose first? A bonus would be that they could automatically place torches on the walls.

First off dungeon walls should be just dirt, easy to dig through and sort of cave-like in appearance.

Then, Imps would automatically build basic stone walls (maybe with torches as you suggest), in the order in which the gallery was dug. For example, if you start by digging your dungeon and then branch out galleries to reach minerals, the Imps would first build walls around your dungeon chambers, before going out and building walls in the mining galleries. Building walls should be a low priority for Imps: they should place higher importance on gathering resources, moving corpses around, etc. This should create an incentive to have a good number of Imps, otherwise they might never get to wall building.

Once basic stone walls are built, you could upgrade them to reinforced walls. These reinforced walls would be placed manually and cost extra stone or iron, or both, and be really tough to tunnel through. Tunneling enemies would try to avoid having to tear those down and would seek to breach your dungeon through the weaker walls.

On a related topic, there should be some kind of warning when tunneling enemies are approaching your dungeon. When they're in the vicinity you could hear a sound, and when they're closer, say trying to tear down a wall, then the tile from where the enemy is attacking would be revealed, giving you a few seconds to scramble a defense party.

FWIW, DK/2 both had reinforcing more or less for free; it did take Imp time, but then you typically didn't have to move bodies at the same time you'd be doing a lot of reinforcing, namely at the start of a dungeon.

More importantly, the whole Keeper's Hand thing meant that you could usually get a particular wall reinforced NOW if need be.  Became important in a few levels.  Here, the “dispatch creature” command serves a similar purpose, so you should be able to target a wall for reinforcement

Having to pay for Extra Reinforced doesn't seem worthwhile IMO.  Stone and Iron are significantly finite resources and I'm not likely to spend them on a wall, or at least not without being able to totally secure a given area.  Sealing off the Dwarves might be cost-effective, but with Alpha 6 Imp and trap navigation, I'd probably have to mortgage half my imps in the trap hall.  :-/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.