Time for a short summary of what you can expect in Alpha15, which should come out around late June.
- Salaries, the most hated mechanic in the history of KeeperRL is going to be removed! I was stubborn and trying to figure out a way to make the system work, but finally gave up.
- There will be an explicit minion population limit that starts at around 8 and can be increased to about 30 using various constructions.
- Throne. You'll be able to build one only after conquering your first hostile village. It will increase the population limit by about 10. It will have some other consequences too, most likely increasing enemy aggression, and allowing early retirement.
- Pigsty room that spawns pigs and serves as a dining room for your minions at the same time. Its real use though will be a one time increase of the population limit (by about 4).
- Statues that will each add 1 to the limit. Their cost in gold will increase exponentially.
- New uses for gold: most likely minion upgrading and diplomacy (dragons will suddenly become very greedy), and possibly hiring minions from friendly tribes.
- NPC AI: they will work in fields, go to sleep at night, and raise alarm when attacked. They will also kindly inform the player why they are attacking.
- Some new content: minions, enemies, items and spells. Not a lot though, it's not time yet for huge additions.
KeeperRL alpha14 is out. It features quite a few improvements and new features, most notably online sharing of retired dungeons. Check the changelist below for details. This update is directed to those that didn't access the game through Steam. The Steam version was being updated gradually and is now identical to Alpha 14.
The free and paid versions are available from Itch.io. You can also buy the game on Steam. As usual, the free version is the same as the full release, minus graphics and music. If you've already bought the game before, you can download the new version from your personal itch.io link.
- Sharing retired dungeons and highscores online.
- Added autosaves.
- New inventory and equipment UI.
- More gold in villages.
- Minion salaries reduced by 1/3.
- 3 new 'night' music tracks.
- More underground terrain is revealed when digging.
- Creatures no longer walk into fire and try to avoid it.
- Undead no longer walk into sunlight.
- A lot more tooltips.
- Stopped imps from running into undiscovered areas to dig.
- Fixed LOTS of crashes and bugs.
The first two weeks of KeeperRL on Steam saw over 20 thousand games played, and the forces of evil conquering the world about 750 times. Meanwhile, an endless stream of bugs poured forth, which made it a very busy time for me. Most of the critical ones are now fixed, but I still have some work to do. I hope those waiting for a standalone Alpha 14 release will forgive me that I delay it a little bit more. In exchange, you'll should get something very, very stable.
PS. The most ridiculous bug reported: Keeper going crazy, sleeping in cages and roaming the land with a pack of wolves. I guess he couldn't 'keep' it anymore.
Hopefully not too many bugs have slipped through the system. After fixing what I can, I'll be back to adding new features into the game. Meanwhile, I wish everyone a lot of fun playing, and don't forget to leave a positive review :)