Home Forums General Discussion Creature upkeep

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

This idea is obviously inspired from the original Dungeon Keeper series, but I think it would fit pretty well in the current gameplay: creature upkeep. Basically, every X number of turns, it's payday and the Keeper's creatures head to the treasury to collect some gold. Higher level creatures would require more upkeep. If you don't have enough gold, well, hey might leave, pick a fight, vandalise your dungeon, etc.

Why is this a good fit for KeeperRL? As far as I can tell, currently gold isn't useful other than to buy items on the black market. Upkeep would give a much greater incentive not only to mine gold, but to keep mining for it. Keeps the Imps busy, too! A limited amount of gold on the map would also introduce extra challenge and a limit on how long a game can last. No longer could you simply buff up your castle, train creatures up to level 10 and just wait for the enemies to come to you.

Mining is really fun but right now once your dungeon's all set up, there's no important reason to dig deeper and keep mining.

What do you think?

miki151
    Participant

In the future I'll try to move away from monster spawning. It would be cool if there were goblin villages on the map and you could recruit them if you were on friendly terms.

You are generally right that I need to add more game elements to mining and dungeon building. The problem right now is there is no challenge in getting more resources, so that needs to change first. If I added upkeep costs right now it wouldn't be very interesting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.