Home Forums General Discussion New trap ideas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    miki151
    Participant

I'm looking for as many new trap ideas as possible. As you know, alpha6 will feature assaulting the Keeper fortress with an adventurer (PC). This means lots of new interesting traps are needed to keep the player entertained. Help me!  😀

Already added:
    – alarm trap (calls all the minions)

In line:
    – web trap (stops hero for a few turns)
    – surprise trap (well, surprise! :))

Arrow traps? A hero steps on a pressure plate wired to a mechanized bow and gets an arrow to the face.

miki151
    Participant

I'm looking for something that causes interesting gameplay. For example another one planned is confinement trap, which blocks all exits from the room for some time. To be used together with gas and other traps.

Maybe a hidden monster similar to a Like Like from the Zelda games that steals an adventurer's equipment piece-by-piece. It shouldn't be too hard to beat to death bare-handed. In keeper mode, could possibly be summoned next to the keeper using mana, where it will then either hop towards its designated spot, or just on to the stockpile.

miki151
    Participant

Yes, some stealing monsters have long been on the list. I have sentiment to the nymphs in Nethack 🙂

A trap that messes with the heroes equipment (but not just degradation) would also be cool, need to think about it.

How about Mimics? Kinda blurring the line between trap and monster, though. Stick 'em in the treasure hordes to surprise the greedier adventurers.

Tchey
    Participant

– Release the beast : summon a beast that attacks the player or the IA. Can be put together with the confinment trap.
    – Well traped : the floor opens on an empty well, making a prisonner if “saved”, or a dead if forgotten.

Also maybe you can look at this game, based upen traps : http://thecastledoctrine.net/

Some that I thought of:

Goo Traps – slow speed or attack speed slowing.
    Pit Traps – flat damage or breaking limbs if thats planned, dunno if z-levels are in the works or not.
    Teleport Traps – teleport to a small defined area, maybe 5×5 or something so it isn't exact – on a cooldown of course so we don't have a Lemmings scenario.
    Worm Traps – ya know… blood worms that crawl around on things & steal their life – possibly even become a minion/unit after a time if they eat enough!.
    Weapon/Armor Traps – It's always fun when the shiny knight comes to life & scares those rascally do-gooders.
    Kinetic Traps – You get hit by this thing… and the next thing that whacks you sends you flying, low damage, high flying.
    Doppleganger Traps – Spawns a weaker version of the thing that walks thru it, uncontrollable so there is some inherent risk.
    Unlucky Traps – Just craps on you in the combat system for a few turns… you strike your mates by accident, slip on their blood, knock your head pretty hard…
    Bloodlust Traps – Handy for those special types… turns them into crazies that get a little stronger in terms of melee, but they can't think straight enough to use specials.
    Starbucks – Great for weeding out those imps that pretend to do work.

I dunno – that's what I came up with on the first try – good luck – fun so far.

Hex Trap – debuffs the individual, common in many roguelikes
    Buff Trap – similar to hex trap
    Debuff Trap – removes all buffs
    Trap door – spring you up or drop you down a level
    Cage trap – allows you to use the victim as a prisoner
    Logic Trap – can correspond to opening a door, dropping a boulder, firing an arrow, something that can be wired. This would involve a logic system, which is more work but if that is the type of gameplay you want to endorse then its up to you. Adds complexity for newcomers but more could also lead to some fun fortress designs. Having a pitfall trap that leaves a victim stranded or facing a large fall.

e – empty pitfall
    n – stuck nerd
    [e][e][e]
    [e][n][e]
    [e][e][e]

You can keep adding dozens of trap types but at some point you have to cut it down the only the ones that are conducive of the type of gameplay you want.

Code:
    // Player selects a logic trap, then clicks on an entity that extends logic
    // Gets an entity that is activiatable from logic
    Logic* result = GetLogicFromMouse();
    Traps.add(new logic_trap(result));

class logic_trap : Trap
    {
    Logic device;

public logic_trap(Logic* d)
    {
    device = d;
    }

// assuming mutative trap system
    public void trigger(Creature c)
    {
    device->activate();
    }
    }

class Logic
    {
    public void activate();
    }

class boulder : Logic
    {
    public void activate()
    {
    spawnboulder();
    }
    }

alright so I got a little carried away. But I would attempt it like this.

miki151
    Participant

Hex Trap – debuffs the individual, common in many roguelikes
    Buff Trap – similar to hex trap
    Debuff Trap – removes all buffs

Sorry, what is this debuffing?

Trap door – spring you up or drop you down a level

Why not, once there are additional levels. You would always place over water though.

Yeah, but how would it work with a player adventurer? Instant game over?

You can keep adding dozens of trap types but at some point you have to cut it down the only the ones that are conducive of the type of gameplay you want.

That's the point, I don't want to add gimmicks, but meaningful gameplay, and they have to work well both for AI enemies and the player attacking.

Sorry, what is this debuffing?

30 turns of -10 strength.
    30 turns of reduced speed.
    30 turns of silence (inability to cast spells or use potions).
    30 turns of reduced accuracy.

Yeah, but how would it work with a player adventurer? Instant game over?

Perhaps you could be immobilized until an enemy is adjacent to you. I.e. you are stuck in the case then an enemy comes to unlock the cage and you then free yourself and start fighting your way out.

miki151
    Participant

Ok, the debuffing trap kind looks pretty good. That's partly what the terror trap does. I was thinking about an insanity trap that makes NPCs attack their own friends, and the player would hallucinate.

Immobilization traps have the problem that you could easily block off an entire army in a narrow corridor. Unless your friends can unlock you, in which case it gets a bit complicated and not very useful.

How about an impaling trap, which will impale (and kill) the first creature to go atop it and then act like a prisoners head.

How about an impaling trap, which will impale (and kill) the first creature to go atop it and then act like a prisoners head.

Insta-kill traps tend to be harsh on Adventurer mode, I'd think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.